A medieval town located in the interior of Istra located on hill 365 meters above the sea level, about twenty kilometers away from Labin. Pićan (in Latin: Petina, in Italian Pedena) was a seat of diocese between 6th and 18th century. The town is a birthplace of Matko Brajša-Rašan, a famous
composer and folklorist, the author of popular and famous regional Istrian hymn.While in the area, visit Blessed Virgin Mary
Annunciation parish church – built in 1613. and replacing previous churches, during the bishop Anton Zara. Artifacts of Saint Niceforus, the martyr and
town saint, are safeguarded in the church.The church museum houses valuable paintings,sculptures and other sacral treasure, like Bishop’s
mantle with golden embroidery – a gift of Austrian Empress Maria Theresa
○ Church tower, 48 meters tall,the fourth tallest in Istra, offers incredible view of Mount Učka, surrounding
villages, and occasionally, Venice.
○ City gates, the best preserved part of medieval walls, took present shape in 17th century under bishop
○ Romanic church of Saint Michael, located outside town walls contains valuable fresco paintings from 14th century, depicting the Passion of Christ,
Epiphany, Judgment Day.
○ Monument of the Growing Family, can be found nearby. ○ Outside town walls there is the church of Saint
Roch, the protector against plague and the town patron of Pićan. St. Roch’s festivity, which falls on August 16th, is still celebrated in the town. In the
past this festivity used to be a special occasion with the trade fair. Wines of fine quality are produced in Pićan. Emperor of Austria, Ferdinand Hapsburg, while
visiting the area at the beginning of last century, confirmed this statement. Wine-makers gathering is scheduled for the first time this year, on the first
Sunday in December. “Roman Path”, an ancient route, passing through the villages nearby, will take you to Sopot, a small but wonderful waterfall.